Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day Nine:

We went back to Wilpinit High School and talked to Warren about the fishes they have in their river and informed us the importance they have and how much impact they in the native culture such as the native fish which are Kokanee, Rainbow, Sturgeon, Suckers, Mountain Whitefish, Northern Pike Minnow. Warrant couldn't stress enough how endangered the native fish are but the predators whom are Carp, Burbot, Small Mouth Bass, Walleye, and Northern Pike. The fish are really important to native culture because that's their food and source of connecting to their ancestors. We also learned the water resources that Wilpinit has, they have special restoration projects that monitors the community drinking system. He also taught us about Spa Coordination which is Spokane tribe monitors issues related to Spokane and Columbia Rivers and their goal is to assist in regional dialogue and coordinate on river issues. One thing that stood out to me was when Warren told us the meaning of Spokane which is children of the sun and that to me meant bright and welcoming and that's exactly what the people from Wilpinit are.

After Warren spoke to us the members from the Dawn Mining Coe came to talk to us about the Mine and the danger it brings due to the radiation. they made us sign a paper saying we wouldn't sue them which kind of scared me because they had a part on the agreements paper that radiating could have a big affect on unborn children and when Paula Swan asked about more detail on it and Michelle Beranas whom is the Administrator said "I've been working in the mine for 10 years and nothing has happened to me" and that gave me no comfort at all. They started taking about the background radiation sources which are cosmic radiation from outer space also terrestrial radiation from radionuclides in the earth's crust and finally internal radiation from our own bodies. 
When we arrived at the mine we took a tour of the plant and looked at the way they clean the water. and I learned that they use sulfuric acid to drop the uranium level to .7 after we toured the mine we went to see the uranium lake which is a beautiful blue, I asked Lue what would happen to me if I were to swim in that water and all he said was "you wouldn't die" but I know that when animals drink that water... they do die so I know not to trust them.

No comments:

Post a Comment